User guide to using BlockIt
Showing and hiding the User Interface
This is the button to toggle on and off the user interface where the next screenshot will talk us through.
About the buttons image though, the button shown is the links button, taken off the links panel icon from Opera itself, this is mainly to show that there are a list of elements here that are needed to be blocked, if the icon isn't here, its either that there aren't any elements needed to be blocked, or(if you set "blocksiteresources" variable to true) there isn't any elements not based on the site that are needed to be blocked.
The User Interface itself
This is the whole interface to block and unblock any elements on the page that needs to be blocked, here is a list guiding you through the functions:
- The blue arrow -- This shows the range of element types available in the page to block, here will show either Scripts, Images,Embeds(Media) or Iframes, the left digit indicates the amount of elements available to block/unblock, the right digit indicates the total number of elements available for that page.
- The light green arrow -- This shows the list of elements and their respective addresses, the "#X# -" to the left of them indicates that this particular item is blocked on the page.
- The yellow arrow -- This is a button that toggles beween "Unblock" and "Block", and adds the selected element to the whitelist if "unblock" is clicked, and removed if "Block" is clicked, also when this button is clicked anything that is viewable on the page will show up(red outline) and be blocked on the spot, same if "Unblock" is clicked(but orange outline and scrolled to)
- The orange arrow -- This is a button that unblocks or blocks all elements of that type, only use this if the site needs all of the elements for the page to work regularly,otherwise its good for quickly blocking/unblocking most elements quickly.
- The dark green arrow -- This is a button that allows toggling this script off temporarily for the whole tab, so if you are only visiting this site temporarily and want to view it properly in its entirety, this button is for you.
- The purple arrow -- This is a button that blocks/unblocks all elements of the type based on the server name, say if you wanted all scripts from one site to be loaded but others not to be, this button does what it says on the tin.
- The red arrow -- This is basically a button that allows you to preview the element in a new tab, this is especially good for scripts that cannot be previewed the normal way.
- Holding shift and clicking on the "Unblock"/"Block" button is a quick shortcut for blocking all elements of the same type on the page(like clicking on the "All" button), holding ctrl is a shortcut for blocking elements based on the same servername as itself(like clicking the "Server" button).
- Holding ctrl while clicking the "Server" button actually stores the servername for all element types, this is useful for youtube as sometimes it holds all scripts and images on similar servers
- Holding shift while clicking the "T-unblock" button will actually only unblock everything for that url only, need to turn blocking back on again? Here is a bookmarklet that will do so. Drag this to a toolbar or bookmark it for future use. BlockIt toggle
- BlockIt adjusts to your screen size, the user interface will shrink its font and total width accordingly, if BlockIt cannot fit, it will tell you, but this script is mainly designed to work on screens with width 300px and above.
- By default, BlockIt will appear in the bottom right position, if you'd like to change the position, change "cornerposition" to either 1(top-left),2(top-right),3(bottom-left) or keep it as it is as 4(bottom-right)
- Information stored by the script is by using various cookies, many will start with either "noscript","noimg","noiframe","noembed" and "noresource" respectively(you can search them in the cookies dialog in Tools > Advanced > Cookies...). Make sure at least cookies are on(right click > edit site preferences > cookies tab or Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Cookies), doesn't matter if its "Accept cookies from the site I visit" as that will work too.
- Order of the elements in the list appears the reverse order as the document, this is in order to maximize script speed and efficiency.
- Any suggestions or wishes don't hesitate to post your thoughts in the forum thread I have made, which is here.